Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11. 2012

Eleven years ago on this day American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the World Trade Center buildings 1 and 2.  Around the same time American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon.  United Flight 93 was headed for the Capital Building when the passengers thwarted that attempt and the plane crashed into the ground in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.  These attacks were brought about by a group of militant Islamists from the al-Qaeda network of terrorists headed by Usama bin Laden.  The listed reasons for this heinous attack was America's support of Israel, our presence in Saudi Arabia and sanctions against Iraq.  Reality is that they need no excuses.  They hate us totally for our way of life.  For their sacrifice the terrorists who killed nearly 3000 people are sitting in their heaven with 7 virgins or some such crap as that.   I continue to feel into my deepest being the tragedy of that day.  I watch the timeline that Fox produced each time it is on.  I have nearly memorized the speaking parts.  The other night as I was watching the timeline, my daughter in law brought my little granddaughter over and I was able to hold her and smell her precious baby smell.   She remarked that I was again watching something that makes me cry every year.  I acknowledged that fact and as I held Allison River I realized that the reason I remember is for her.  If we forget,  the victims of that day will have died in vain.  We have to remember to be able to fight against the spread of terrorism.   We have to teach our grandchildren the value of freedom and that it is worth our sacrifice.  Our way of life, our country, and our values are under attack from all sides and if we do not stand guard we will lose all that we hold dear.   I watch each year to honor those husbands, wives, moms, dads, sisters, brothers who lost loved ones and who are left behind to carry the torch. In my memory that is the last time that our country stood together regardless of political party to announce to the world that WE ARE AMERICANS and we will not be destroyed.   Remember today all those who lost their lives and pray for those who lost  their loved ones.  Finally pray for our country.

No comments: