Saturday, January 24, 2009

China Imports and Obama Antimama

Coming to work tonight I heard on the news that we have a ton of expensive homes built with drywall from China that is now making people sick. They have traced this to homes built after 2005 till 2007 when we were unable to keep up with demand post hurricanes. Apparently this is mostly in southern Florida and the builders started bringing this crap in from China. Two things come to mind. Number one is: good things come to those that wait. The good things being non-contaminated supplies made in the USA. Number two thing is the absolute scary learning curve demonstrated by the Government officials in charge of protecting us and the lack of memory that we ourselves demonstrate when we purchase things made in China. HELLO doesn't anyone recall our poisoned dogs and cats or how about toys made for our kids with lead based materials, or better yet tainted medication... just to name the three that really stuck in my mind. We have problems of our own in America with contaminated food etc. without importing this crap. Crawfish are a mainstay down in this area. We have local crawfish farmers who stock our stores and we have Chinese crawfish being imported at a greatly reduced price. I am here to tell you that I will never, EVER buy imported crawfish from China.. my mom didn't raise no dummy. It is not surprising the number of people here that prefer to buy the more expensive locally raised crawfish vs. the Chinese import. I guess Louisiana folk are smarter than the average Government official at least when it comes to crawfish. Stan was upset greatly while shopping at Christmas when almost everything traditional to the holiday was made in China. While we waited in line we heard people buying Chinese imports discussing how bad our economy was and the loss of jobs! I now look at all products that I purchase and I try to buy exclusively from the USA and not out of country. But that's just me.

Obama I had hopes for you and then you shot me down within the first week by reversing the ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions. And being the shy retiring man that you are you did it with little to no fanfare.... or were you hoping to slide that one by us? Now I realize that it is a hot political topic and that the ban on the bill was like a boil on the collective liberal ass. They whined that the ban denied U.S. aid to the worlds poor by refusing to fund those groups sponsoring abortions. Those same groups also deal with family planing and HIV/AIDS. That is probably truth. It's simple, to get our money just knock out the abortion clause. Anyway, I have a lot of misgivings about sending money into countries that hate us anyway and I don't think that we should have to contribute money to support a policy that we personally don't agree with. My mom always said that you can't buy your friends because those friends will be able to be bought by someone else with more money. Before I read comments about what a selfish individual I am, let me state that I whole heartedly agree with family planning and global research on HIV/AIDS. Over the years I have changed my mind about abortion. I am not a rabid right-to-lifer(for instance I agree with giving treatment to prevent pregnancies after rapes) but the rabid pro choicers are, well words don't express how I feel about them..... but to use abortion for birth control and/or population control is an abomination. Have we become so jaded that we have lost the alarms of our consciousness?

1 comment:

Carrie White said...

I must say it again:
Aunt Debbie for President. You and Sarah Palin would make quite the ticket in 2012.