Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Joshua

As I had previously written in Rebekah's birthday post..I must have thousands of pictures of my kids and can't locate the ones that I want at the time I want. I found these of Josh and was transported back in time so I think they will do


Joshua was born on Good Friday April 8, 1977. I was not prepared to be a mom. I didn't know if I would even like the job.... that was until he made his entry into the world and I fell in love with a red squalling 9lb5oz potato. He was a good baby and I couldn't imagine wanting to be anything else but a mom.We lived in an apartment complex called the English Cove Apt's. in Gulf Breeze, Florida. Our apartment was right beside the pool. Joshua loved the pool as a baby and would spend hours in or near the water. He is just over a year in this picture. One of my favorite 'Josh" stories is when he got up(under the age of 2) went downstairs got the oil and eggs out. I found him sitting on the floor with the frying pan between his legs filled to the brim with oil smashing eggs into the oil singing " making 'bekest' for mommy, making 'bekest' for mommy" Why oh why didn't I take a picture of that it would have been a classic. Like my niece Carrie pointed out(and I laughed when I read it...sorry) the picture will always be on my heart. I had saved my money for professional pictures when he was 2 and 1/2 and just prior to the picture event i realized he had cut his hair. I had to cancel. Made a new appointment and the weekend before kept looking at him. He just didn't look right. Sitting in McDonalds (Heckdonalds as he used to say) I looked at his face and loudly said " oh my God" he had shaved most of his left eyebrow off. "To be like mommy" because I used to shave the stray hairs off my eyebrows instead of plucking. I again had to cancel and the photographer asked me if I was really watching him. I should have canceled and got someone else but he was the 'best'.

This next picture is a first day of school for he and Becky. He went to Brazos Christian School and Becky was at Kinder Care. He has never changed. He really looks the same from the day he was born till now. He LOVED the camera and the camera loved him.

Joshua went thru a period of time when he was lost. I know that without his grandma "Lucky" and his sister Rebekah he might never have found his way back home again. My mom prayed for him every day. She prayed angels around him to protect him and gave him over to God. He would call his sister and she was his 'touchstone'. When I would be sleepless from worry, Becky would let me know that he was alright. He and his sister formed a bond during that time that remains to this day. Grandma Lucky was there the first 3 weeks of his life so that I could go back to work. She used to call him her little Toad Frog because his feet touched heel to heel when he was born.... that gave him a near perfect turn out for 5th ballet position.He now is 31 years of age and with his partner Desiree Doucet own a dance school and a non-profit theater I have not said anything about his dancing in this post for a reason. Too often he is defined by his dancing and his talent. He is so much more. He is passionate and hot tempered. He is gentle and often cries when I cry. He is happy and can make us laugh till we have tears streaming down our faces. He can be ruthless when he wants something and then terribly saddened if he has hurt someone along the way. He loves what he does and is hurt often because he cares so very much for each of his students. He often has the attention span of a gnat but we know and accept that about him and adjust ourselves to accommodate him. He has turned out to be a savvy businessman and can think on his feet... and we have to catch up to him. In passing he can throw out incredible ideas and leaves us to figure out how to make them work. He has a gentle heart, and is a faithful friend. He has a personal relationship with Jesus and isn't afraid to tell you. He is my first born. He is known as 'bubba to his stepfather Stan and sister Rebekah. His father Steve and step mom Peggy live in Iowa and with them he has 2 other sisters, Carissa, and Chelsea and 2 brothers, Brian and Brandon. He is complex and simple. He is very smart and can be completely oblivious. I am better because of him. I thank God each day that he is in my life. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSHUA!!!!!!




.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie: awesome post! Again, you are such an excellent writer. Happy Birthday Joshua!
Love,
Mindy