Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dogs and a Gold and Silver Weekend


Bebe and Kay and Linda


Remember the Girl scout song that goes like this: "make new friends and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold" Well I just had a great gold and silver weekend. My friend Kay came in from Houston with her two friends and associates, Bebe and Linda. They came in style in a large motor home for the Acadiana Dog Show. They were accompanied by Cha-Cha, Henry, Diva, Highland Fling(can't remember her call name)and one more but I swear I can't remember the name. The above named are the most beautiful West Highland White Terriers. Kay, Bebe and Linda together are Ashscot Westies and they travel around with their canine brood to shows. I haven't seen Kay in years but it was like yesterday and she was able to come to my daughter's engagement party as her 'Aunt'. Kay can remember when Becky was small enough to curl up and go to sleep in a dog crate when we were at shows with her. The thing that I have found is that we really haven't changed that much but we now have our medical problems to share and discuss. I am in awe of these three women who lug crates, dogs, and voluminous dog show 'stuff' with them and have a great time doing so. I felt an immediate bond to these new friends.
We stayed for lunch today and had Linda's wonderful broccoli salad. I got the "itch" and no it wasn't fleas. I miss this. I miss the dog shows and the people. I miss the smell of the rings. I miss the excitement. I miss the passion demonstrated by the handlers and owners. Very few people go to the small shows as observers not like you see on TV at Westminster. These shows are where the next Westminster winner could come from, with enough points added to his record to qualify him for the show. So to my old friend and my new ones....keep showing those beauties and thank you for coming into my life. I feel very blessed

No comments: