Monday, May 7, 2018

LGMC, HIP REMOVAL, AND GETTING OLDER

In one week it will have been a year since I blogged.  I am a poor excuse for a Mimi because I write mostly for my kids and my grand kids so that they can look back when I am gone and have an idea as to who I am, what I believed and loved.  There is a lot of other reasons too but just understand that I am glad that others read what I write but it really is for my babies.

I had my left hip removed by Dr.  Scott Yerger in Lafayette Louisiana on April 19, 2018. My pre surgical experience up to and including my stay at Lafayette General and my post surgical experience have been excellent.  Dr. Yerger starts sending out emails to you with a ton of educational information and check lists weeks before you go into the hospital.  If you do not take advantage of the opportunity that he provides then you are an idiot. The only excuse is if you do not have internet abilities and I bet that the office has answers for that as well.  The staff is gracious, available to answer questions, and are quick to respond to any problems that you might have.  My pre check in at the Pace clinic was awesome.  I am a Registered Nurse with nearly 44 years of experience.  As a patient I am a moron.  I know just enough to make myself dangerous.  The pace nurse went over everything with direct eye contact  that made me feel that I was so very important to her personally.  The day of surgery I was terrified.  I was having a spinal instead of general anesthesia and I am fricken terrified of needles especially those that are  big enough to go into my spine.  The anesthesiologist promised me he was going to give me bravery juice.  The only thing I remember was  sitting at the side of the bed in the suite and a WONDERFUL African American man held me.  I cannot tell you what he did or said but he made me feel safe.  His name  started with a D I think.   You sir are a wonderful man .. take that into your heart that what ever you said or did made this terrified  lady feel safe and whenever I tell this story I cry.  I cannot tell you what happened until I woke up unable to move my legs in recovery.  Becky said the surgery was short but I was in recovery a long time waiting on a bed.  At one time I was scared and I couldn't seem to get attention.  I am not even sure I was actually summoning anyone.  I was panicking in my mind and my mother came to me she stroked my hair back and said you are going to be fine.  My mom has been dead for over 15 years. No I am not nuts..... well not completely.  Shortly afterwards Becky came through the door...then I felt my world was righted. 

As soon as I was able to move my toes they got me up and I walked down the hallway.  I was amazed at the lack of pain but apparently they shoot you up at the site so that you CAN get up and move without too much pain.... smart people.  The nurses on the 4th floor all deserve the Heart of Nursing award.  Every contact I had including housekeeping, dietary, nursing assistance and nursing staff are star performers.  They were caring, intuitive, kind and professional.   ALL OF THEM.  The NP on the floor was an angel as well. 

I did not go home till Saturday I had vomiting issues.  Other than that I felt my pain was in control.  Through the  PT and OT staff I  learned to put on shoes, socks and pick up things off the floor.  I learned how to get in and out of a car and the "never -dos" in relation to my healing hip.I went to Becky's to recover and really don't remember a lot about the first few days except she kept my medications up to date and bathed me.  It is difficult to explain that this care that I have received at her home by her hands has been excellent.  She handles so much and I think it was a lot like having another child.  I had gained 20 lbs even after vomiting and was horrified until I really looked at my left buttock.  I put the Kardashians to shame.  My left buttock was huge as was my left leg.  It was high and hard as a rock compared to my right soft grandma butt.  Since that time I am about 5 lbs nearer my pre surg weight. 

Narcotics: do not like them do not want them, took them anyway.  I did get 5 days of Toradol which is a godsend.  Beats the hell out of any narcotic for pain control.   My daughter kept me medicated and then we started cutting back.  I knew what was working and what wasn't.  For me  Norco sucks for actual pain control and it backs you up.  I sort of forgot I had not pooed in a week.  I was taking stool softeners but those pesky Norcos just overrule your bowels. I will not go into graphic detail but ducolax works I had to take several.  Problem solved.  I cried non stop the first week.  I could not stop the most ridiculous things would set me off .  I think I dehydrated myself. 

I am having physical therapy and they are the bomb as well.  If they are being honest I am doing very well.  When I get home my leg and hip spasm  it is not painful as much as uncomfortable and it follows me into the night in bed.  I take a single Valium at night with motrin and my baby aspirin and I am able to sleep.  Bad as I hate Norco  let me tell you Valium rocks. This also is being weaned down.  I will probably need something for the spasms in the next few weeks because they happen every night but it cannot be Valium.  I like it too much. 

So many people went out of their way to think of me.  My friend Jojo sent me a recliner....... can you  believe that!!!!  Debi cooked me an entire meal for my family with desert that was wonderful, Kay sent me flowers and Ria brought some my first day and checked on me.  My niece sent me an edible arrangement as did my sister in law Elaine.  My Louisiana sister Jill babysat me as did Janet.  Glenda  got me a bottle of wine and a "hip Kit" and has taken me to the store and to therapy and has made me nearly pee myself please see my posting on Facebook about our shopping trip,  Joshua is taking me to therapy as well and providing me with encouragement. My  dear neighbor Maria and her daughter Arianna visited me and Maria has taken me to therapy several times and to the store. Then her husband Michael made me soup. So many many kindnesses and I am humbled by the love. 

I now have my first fake part if  you don't count the boobs, teeth crowns, and wigs.  This is my first real geriatric part, my entry to the  club of elders , the first of what will probably be a repeat in the next few years on my right hip.  I am getting older and each day wake up and thank God that I still am alive and kicking.  I have so many things to be grateful for and go to sleep thinking about them. 

To Rebekah and Shane thank you for opening your home and your hearts to a partially disabled Mimi and I will never ever forget what you have done for me.  I wait each day for the twins to get home to see "mimi's booboo"  then they share the booboos that they have acquired during the day.

God is good. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another well written blog. Love you so much and grateful to call you my sister friend. You are blessed!