Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day 2010

Oh my, I have been a mom for 33 years. I heard somewhere that we won't know if we have been a success at raising our young until they are at least 40 and out of therapy. Motherhood is a minefield that's covered in roses! I grew up in the age of birth control and abortion and I can only say that even knowing all that I know now, having stepped on a few landmines, I would not do anything different. Everyday, every trial, every failure, and every success have brought me to this age with my two children whom I love more than life itself. I can't imagine what my life would be like without my 'babies'. I would not take anything for that memory of both of my children when they first said 'mama' and really meant me(not the dog, the dad, the cow, or the tree) I have so many memories that my niece Carrie once said, are like snapshots on my heart. In the time period just before sleep claims me I often visit the past and remember events that have shaped my children. So many times with the advantage of hindsight I think of how things would have been different 'if only'. But 'if only' happens in dreams and the reality is that the joy, trials, pain, the good and bad choices I have made created two remarkable individuals. We were not given a test for parenthood and there wasn't a 'Parenthood for Dummies' book to guide our way so it was pretty much hit and miss. I read the Bible and prayed a lot. I think I called my mom at least 4 times a week from the time my children were born. I felt that I turned out okay so she must have known what she was doing, right? She would just laugh, sometimes she would cry and often she was the one that prayed. Motherhood is not for everyone but for me it is the job that I most enjoy. It taught me that my heart is capable of a love so immense that nothing can destroy it. Ever. Becky and Josh.... I love you more than all the stars in the sky.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Awww.... sniff...sniff.....I don't know your other children, but I know and love your amazing son. Yes... you did a fantastic job and are a wonderful mother!